coffee cake? what is this delicious cake?
Contrary to popular belief…. coffee cake doesn’t actually have coffee in it! It is a delicious crumb cake that is paired with coffee! The vanilla and sugar in the breakfast cake has the most delicious flavor when eaten with a warm cup of coffee! My favorite coffee to pair coffee cake with is a delicious hot americano (2 shots of espresso and hot water)! YUM!
let’s start baking & brewing!
- 2 sticks of warm butter
- 1 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 cup of greek yogurt
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 stick of butter melted
- 1 cup of sugar
- 3 tablespoons of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 3 cups of powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons of espresso grounds
- preheat your oven to 350° fahrenheit and grease your baking pan or bundt pan with butter and dust with flour
- in a bowl, cream together your butter and your sugar with a whisk until smooth and well combined
- add in your yogurt, baking powder, salt and vanilla and stir together
- next, add in your eggs one at a time and whisk into the batter until well combined
- next add in your flour 1/2 cup at a time to create a thicker batter
- whisk out all the lumps in your batter and pour 1/2 of the mixture into your cake pan
- in a separate bowl, melt your butter and stir into the butter your sugar and cinnamon to create a sugar paste
- pour your cinnamon mixture evenly over the 1/2 of the batter in the cake pan
- next, pour the remaining batter on top of the sugar mixture to layer the cake, batter, sugar, batter
- bake for 1 hour until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean and the top is golden brown
- let the cake rest for 30-40 minutes to cool, when cool, tip the cake out of the cake pan and set on a plate for icing
- in a separate bowl, whisk together your espresso, powdered sugar and milk to form a thick icing
- evenly drizzle the icing on top of the cake
- eat and enjoy with your coffee!
this fall recipe will make you want to sit by the fire and sip coffee all day!