The tradition of this style of coffee stems back to the 15th century in Greece and Turkey. The beans are prepared in a special manner to allow the grounds to bloom twice. Channel your inner Sparta and jump onto this coffee trend!
This style of coffee is STRONG, it takes no prisoners like Spartans and takes the flavor to a new level! ελληνικός καφές (Greek Coffee) packs all the flavor into the preparation! Finely ground beans, twice boiled water and a sugar cube are all the ingredients in this coffee!
Let’s make a Spartan Coffee
- 1 sugar cube
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of finely ground coffee (use this blend)
- small saucepan or ibrik
- bring your water to a bowl in your sauce pan or ibrik
- remove from the heat, and add in your finely ground coffee and bring to a slow bowl again
- pour your coffee into a small espresso cup *note, only 1/3 of the coffee gets poured into the cup with the crema from the espresso bloom on top*
- place a sugar cube into your espresso cup and enjoy hot